ATEG Archives

March 2008

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:42:00 -0700
I'm not sure if it appears in other textbooks, but I don't think it's
widespread, at least not in print. I have, though, had students who
reported that their high-school English teachers told them something of
the sort, and I had always assumed that this was the sort of
misapprehension derived from in-class attempts to provide handy rules of
thumb without considering the full consequences of those rules.

It may will be a muddled generalization based on observing awkward
active-to-passive shifts such as the following:

"Woodward helped to expose the Watergate scandal, and since then many
other important stories have been reported by him."

In such cases, of course, the passive, though, is only a symptom of the
underlying flaw: the inappropriate shift of topic. It's the topic shift
that forces the passive.

Karl