ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
Sophie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:44:13 +1000
Don, I think that what we need to determine about participle-led sequences
is their specific syntactic role in each sentence. For instance, in your
sentence: `I saw him sitting in the park', the present-participle phrase has
an adjectival function (I saw the sitting-in-the-park him), and for that
reason, it can embed the structure of the sentence. In your sentence: `I
could hear him down in his workshop, wishing he would call it a night',
there is a lurking conjunction: `I could hear him down in his workshop and I
was wishing he would call it a night'. So this participle sequence is in
fact a foreshortened sentence. If it attaches successfully to the verb of
the leading sentence, then it is in order. If not, it `dangles' and is out
of order.  But it cannot work its way back to modifying the subject of the
independent sentence `I could hear him' unless it can embed its structure.
And it cannot.
Sophie