ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 22:07:28 -0500
Richard,

I haven't heard this set of contrasts described with quite this precision, outside of the acoustic descriptions that Labov and his associates use.  Your distinction among merry, marry, and Mary covers a narrower range in the area of Cardinal 3 than what I've heard from New Englanders, where the vowel for "Mary" is closer to Cardinal 2.  But I've found that one of the most difficult sets of contrasts to teach to a phonetics class, and I'm in the middle of it right now, is that range between a very fronted low vowel (Cardinal 4) and slightly above Cardinal 3 and centralizing nearly to inverted <a>.  What we transcribe as [ae] tends to show up all over that area.  (Actually, in both some Lower North, like Anderson, IN, and in cities influenced by NCVS, what I as a rural Inland Northern speaker have in "hand" can sound like the vowels of the second syllable of "idea", a falling diphthong starting near [i] and falling to fronted low central.)  In my own speech, where merry/marry/Mary are all the same, the vowel in all of them is at about the height of the [E] of "bet" but somewhat more centralized.

Herb