ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
Ronald Sheen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2007 05:24:15 -0700
The following are examples of English which have appeared in the media.   I
would be interested in the reaction of members to them.   What I'd like to
know is the following:  If you saw these in a student's essay, which ones
(if any) would you correct and how would you do so?

I will give a summary of the responses, provide the source of the examples
and offer some comments on the relevance of the issues involved.

Hint:   There are no right or wrong answers though your answers have some
relevance for TESOL. (Teaching English to speakers of other languages)

1.   No soccer team ever drew crowds like these.

2.   I swear I was not in this hotel more than three times in my life.

3.   I lectured on the subject a number of times in the past ten years.

4.   Did you ever read Blake?

5.   Gatting already indicated that he would not be available.

6.    I never acted a part in my life.

7.    I was married twice.

8.    Peter, you lost weight.  (Said by someone to Peter on seeing him after
a short separation).

9.   Your father couldn't make it.  He went to the border.

10.  Within the past hour, all the prisoners gave themselves up.  (A
breaking-news announcement on TV)

11.  In the past few years, Iran captured many soldiers.

12.   The air-traffic control chaos of the last month has led to a 28%
increase.

13.  I played Australia five times in the last few years.

14.  We built several new prisons already.

15.  Hitler changed the rules; the phony war is over.

16. Did you have breakfast.  (said in a restaurant at 9 am)

17.  We beat them twice so far.

18.  I thank you kindly, Mister, but I had enough.

19.  It started a campaign in the diet industry we never saw before.

20.   I always knew you were a good speaker.

Ron Sheen