ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:45:49 -0400
I was unaware of the previous dialog on the topic, but was a bit curious
about the prohibition, and took the liberty of doing a search in the LOB
Corpus (a large collection of text files of British English). Out of
thirty instances of sentence-initial "In his..." constructions, thirteen
involved a cataphoric relation between "his" and a following NP. The
majority of those thirteen, interestingly, were of the same type as the
one under discussion -- they identified a publication in which the
referent said something.

Thanks for the reference, Herb! This is the kind of think I like to
point students to in classes like History of English and Pedagogic
Grammar.

Bill Spruiell