ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
"Bruce D. Despain" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2006 06:37:47 -0600
Edmond, Phil, et al.,

I realize that Jean Atchison is a respected "linguist" but her quote cannot
be taken literally.  She would have better expressed the situation if she
had not used the words 'noun' and 'verb' to refer to the concepts that the
words of their respective classes refer to.  There are levels of reference,
levels of meaning.  This is the problem that Bertram Russell ran up against
when he proposed to mathematize concepts with formal logic.  The perplexity
is called the paradox of the barber: "If a barber shaves everyone in the
village who does not shave himself, then who shaves the barber?"  The sense
in which a noun or a verb is an entity cannot be studied at the same level
as objects of the rest of the real world can be. You will always run up
against this paradox.  Russell's solution was to propose a theory of types.
It's not pleasant, but it is the only way to make progress here.  The
problem arises when we use a natural language to describe a natural
language.

So, let me reword Atchinson's quote more precisely as follows:

'Nouns designate entities at one end of a continuum, with words that refer
to entities that retain their identity through time, such as dog, mountain,
sky.  Verbs designate entities at the other end, with
words that involve rapid change, such as jump, hit, swim.  In the middle
come expressions to refer to properties, some semi-permanent, as in a large
elephant, a round pond, a green frog, and some temporary, as in an angry
bull, a happy baby, a hot day.'

It is difficult for a scientist to accept that the object of study must be
taken as blurred into the rest of the world.  To make progress in any
investigation, there must be an analysis, a separation of the object of
study (here language) from other phenomena in the real world.  (The English
teacher must stop this incessant desire to philosophize by abstracting
everything out of existence.  This is endemic in the English department;
that has been my experience.)  Linguistics is the study of natural language.
The study of the concepts that language refers to is part of semantics.  (As
the saying goes, "that's just semantics.) Our investigations of grammar will
be more fruitful if the concepts of our study are kept apart from the
concepts of the world outside that study.  The same principles of
investigation must govern linguistics as they do the other sciences.
(English teachers need to realize this about science and the formal
languages of mathematics.)