ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
William McCleary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2007 21:52:58 -0700
In the early and mid sixties I taught in the secondary school, first
exclusively in ninth grade and then in tenth and a little above that. I
cannot speak to what was going on in college composition courses at the
time, though my freshman composition courses when I was a college
student had no grammar in them. We did, of course, have a handbook of
sorts, but my professors never referred to it. The basis of the courses
was general semantics, the fourth C in Conference on College
Composition and Communication. (General semantics was also known as the
"communication approach.") What I say about my experiences in the
sixties, then, applies to English teaching in the secondary school.

To my knowledge, there were no research findings that supported the
idea that the teaching of grammar would improve students' writing,
although many tried to prove it. If there was ever an "official belief"
in teaching grammar to teach writing, I am not aware of it. It was just
taken to be common sense. Many errors could be explained in grammatical
terms, so it was deemed necessary to teach grammar in order to
facilitate these explanations. I heard this justification many times,
though I never saw it written down. Most students never learned enough
grammar to be able to apply it, and attempting to teach them enough
grammar consumed a lot of time. The textbook also included many lessons
on correctness--correct spelling, correct punctuation, correct usage,
etc.--and these, too consumed much time. Add to that the teaching of
literature, for most teachers were English majors, which means they
were literature majors and preferred to teach literature above all.
That left little time for teaching writing, except that teaching
grammar and correctness was considered the main part of teaching
writing, as it still is in many classrooms. I can't say that there was
no teaching of writing, but there was darned little.

I should say that there was also little or no teaching of writing when
I was a high school student. There was a little "assigning" of writing,
but that's not the same as teaching writing. For instance, I never
heard of a thesis statement until I took a graduate course in teaching
English.

Personally, I dropped teaching grammar and teaching correctness in
isolation from writing when I finally began learning how to teach
writing. That was about 1963 or 64. And I continued in that vein for
the rest of my career. When I became a college composition teacher, I
was occasionally required to have the students buy a handbook, but I
seldom used it. Errors drop away when students do lots of writing, and
those that don't drop away can be handled on an individual basis. The
handbook may be necessary to prove that there is indeed a rule against
certain constructions, despite what the student may say, but most
errors can be explained without grammatical terminology.

There is a lot more that could be said about the sixties. Serious
research in other teaching methods besides grammar and correctness
began in the sixties, for example. But maybe I have said enough. I'll
just add that I'm not against teaching grammar as a liberal art, but it
would need to be done differently than we used to do it.

Bill