ATEG Archives

June 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 2009 19:11:32 -0400
Kinship terms are one of the areas in which culture is expressed in language.  In Yoruba, spoken in SW Nigeria, there are no words for brother, sister, son, daughter, aunt, or uncle.  There is a word that means elder sibling, which includes cousins, and another that means younger sibling, and there is a word for child.  If one has to specify a relationship it takes several words to do it, but in the extended family of this culture it's relative age that counts, as well as generational differences.  Any elder male is "father" and any elder female is "mother."  In Navajo, the sibling words mean "sibling of the same sex" and "sibling of the opposite sex."  Clearly vocabulary and metaphor are very culture-sensitive.  However, morphological and syntactic structure seem not to be.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University