ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:49:53 -0500
Dear All:

At the risk perhaps annoying everyone to one extent or another, I'm going to describe what I see as the social, rather than scientific, reasons behind some of the tensions between the major theoretical camps, with an eye to mitigating them a bit (I say 'annoying' because it's my *interpretation* of the history, and I may be wrong in unamusing ways; I trust the other list members will add their voices).

The Formalist and Functionalists camps operate from different underlying assumptions, both about what are the "core" linguistic phenomena to explain, and about methodological procedures. To give an example of the latter, the Formalist use of Occam's Razor yields a simplicity measure that focuses on the number of primitive elements in the system, and the number of "rules" (with rule being defined as a kind of relationship, rather than a mandate or process). A model with fewer primitives and rules beats one with more, as long as both can explain the same phenomena, and the phenomena to be explained comprise mainly (a) speaker's ability to recognize whether a sentence is grammatical or not, and (b) the process by which they were able to learn to do that given limited input.

Most functionalist approaches, on the other hand, expand the phenomena to be explained to include (c) speakers' choice of structure in context and (d) relation of language to other human cognitive and communicative functions. Since functionalists also view production and interpretation ("Performance") as a primary area of concern, a functionalist simplicity metric has to (or rather, I'd *argue* it has to) take into account not just number of elements and rules, but also the processing load for a range of operations distributed across a range of contexts. It's still Occam's Razor, but it's shaving a different face. Having multiple representations of the same thing, for example, is a bit messy from an abstract standpoint, but if the different representations are each time-savers in a specific context, the benefits may outweigh the disadvantages (or to put it another way, the simplest way to explain why speakers take the same amount of time to do X and Y even though those two tasks are very different is to posit that they're using a different representation for each).

And here's the problem: There's no real way to prove one simplicity metric is better than another, especially if what they're measuring are models of different phenomena. To me, at least, it looks like a classic situation where both sides should just admit there's probably a lot of value in what the others are doing, but that they're more interested in their own thing. We don't, for example, often see sculptors laying into painters for using incompatible forms.

History complicates things, though (and here's where I might start raising hackles). The "Generative Revolution" occurred during a period when American linguistics had gotten rather rigid, and demanded a lock-step adherence to behaviorism. The Generative paradigm didn't just emerge as a theoretic position, it had to establish itself as a kind of alternative power structure, and its proponents, in some cases, used rather blatantly political strategies to accomplish this (and there were blatantly political strategies used by their opponents as well). A number of generativists adopted -- or appear to me to have adopted -- the stance that those not adhering to the model weren't really linguists, or were thinking unclearly, and certainly shouldn't ever be hired (again, the old-school behaviorists sometimes treated early Generativists that way, so there's a lot of blame to go around). Giving books titles like "The Theory of Syntax" didn't help the situation much, since it wouldn't have taken much effort to use "A" instead of "The." The models in the paradigm are usually marvels of internal consistency, but their proponents appeared to demand that everyone agree with all of their underlying assumptions, and some of those assumptions are beyond the reach of empiricism (so are some of functionalism's, of course; the problem isn't the existence of such assumptions, but rather the demand to "convert," and the attitude that refusal represents an inability to perceive Revealed Truth).

Functionalists of my generation thus came of academic age feeling roughly like academic equivalents of medieval heretics, and we've got baggage. I fully realize that claiming every linguist should become a functionalist is committing exactly the same kind of move that give me baggage to begin with, but it's sooooo tempting to take potshots (fill in the image of the peasant from "Monty Python's Holy Grail" shouting "Witness the Oppression!" and waving a hoe). It doesn't do the wider public any good, though, *especially* since a majority of the differences between the paradigms has no real implication for what we need to do in classrooms. I may get arguments on this, but I don't think applying some of Halliday's concepts to create teaching tools would threaten any Formalist -- and as a Functionalist, I use sentence-combining exercises (which are, really, Generative-esque) all the time. I don't really think *anyone* in a K-12 classroom should have to look at my Stratificational diagrams (frankly, even other linguists don't; if you stand far enough back to see the entire diagram, you can't see the nodes anymore).

Sincerely,

Bill Spruiell