ATEG Archives

November 2007

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2007 22:29:39 -0500
Kathleen,

I agree with Bruce, as far as he goes.  However, there are other sorts of word classes than what we call parts of speech, but let me back up first and explain what's meant by "part of speech."  A set of words form a lexical category or part of speech if they have common morpho-syntactic properties and if they have some notional semantic properties in common.  Words like you ask about can belong to various parts of speech on the basis of these criteria, so "snicker-snack" would be an adverb because it behaves like one syntactically.  The other sort of word class is one that is defined by certain common phonotactic and morphological traits, and the most common example of this is what came to be called in African linguistics "ideophones."  The term has been used  in African linguistics for nearly a century to describe onomatopoeic words and words that, while not onomatopoeic in the usual sense, are still marked by reduplication, repetition, alliteration, and assonance.

In a language like Yoruba, spoken by about 20 million people in Nigeria and Benin, ideophones are identifiable phonologically and morphologically but may belong to almost any open class part of speech, so "kpataki", meaning "important" is a verb/adjective.  (The /kp/ is a single sound, the [k] and [p] pronounced simultaneously without and breath or vowel between, and I use the term verb/adjective because they are a single part of speech in the language.)  "gbogbo", meaning "all", is a quantifier and a noun.    "kpukpa", meaning "red" is a noun and an adjective.  The class of ideophones is highly productive.  A former student of mine and now a prominent Africanist, Olayiwola Awoyale, is working on a dictionary of Yoruba ideophones that is now up to 25,000 entries.  They are frequently used in story telling, and the ability to coin or simply choose apt ideophones is highly regarded.  What I've described for Yoruba is, in fact, a sub-Saharan areal feature and is thus true of many African languages.

English also has quite a few ideophones, defined especially by partial reduplication, like hurdy-gurdy, hubbub, willy-nilly, splish-splash, and many others.  The term ideophone hasn't really made it into English grammatical vocabulary, but the category is very much like its African counterpart.  It's a category of words that crosses parts of speech.

Herb