ATEG Archives

March 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:25:00 -0400
One of the tests for a transitive phrasal verb is whether it can be made passive.

Seattle depends heavily on coffee for its economic survival.
Coffee is heavily depended on by Seattle for its economic survival.

Of course, this is not the only test, and the fact that there are a number of different types of phrasal verb indicates that, as with other categories, phrasal verb is also a fuzzy category, just as verbs themselves are, ranging from invariant modals like "must" to full agentive transitive verbs like "hit."

Herb