ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:01:48 -0400
Herb,
   I can think of occassions when a number would take a plural, as in "He
threw two sevens in a row." (Maybe I'm confessing my social class.) But
you have me convinced.
   For verbs, adding endings may be the simplest and purest test. I wonder
why we don't do that in early grades. I wonder if syntax is hard to
teach later precisely because we have avoided it for so long. Even at
the college level, I still have students who haven't been told the
difference between plural and possessive (or it hasn't taken; but it
takes so easily, I can't help suspecting it just isn't always taught.)
Are syntax and morphology hard to teach, or do we just avoid them?
   I have access to students in a K-4 charter school, so I may be trying a
few things out.

Craig

Craig,