ATEG Archives

September 2011

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2011 18:45:52 -0400
Geoff,
    There really is very little grammar in Strunk and white. There's quite a bit of usage, but most of that is in the Strunk sections, not in what E. B. White added, and that has become largely irrelevant because of the passage of time.
   The good prescriptive advice is almost entirely about writing: things like preferring the concrete over the abstract and omitting needless words and working from a suitable design. I certainly learned a lot by considering that advice when I was much younger.
   Strunk was a teacher, but E.B. White was a very successful (and acclaimed) writer. When I was in grad school, the book was recommended to me by writers who found the advice a very useful alternative to the composition books that seemed to have been written by people who never wrote anything of their own outside of an English class.
   Students come to me with the book from time to time because it's required by a few teachers, and I'll sometimes point out to them the few sections I find very useful.
   It's not a grammar book. There's very little attention to syntax in the book.

Craig

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 14:21:05 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

Here’s a link to Geoffrey Pullum’s review of Strunk&White and the culture around it.

http://chronicle.com/article/50-Years-of-Stupid-Grammar/25497

Herb