ATEG Archives

January 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:51:43 -0500
   I am reading this with great interest since I'll be on a search
committee shortly, in this case to hire someone to work with
nontraditional students, many of them ESL. Grammar would be an expected
topic there. This got me to wondering what kind of work the
"compositionist" will be doing--teaching beginning writers? Running a
writing center? Working on writing across the disciplines? Training
other writing teachers? All of these require different kinds of
experience and expertise.
   Erica Lindemann ("A Rhetoric for Writing Teachers") presents the
progressive position fairly well-- "To teach English requires a second
kind of knowledge, a "conscious understanding" of linguistic
principles." Also "The more we know about how language works, the more
linguistic options we can suggest to students struggling to get the
words right...What teachers must know about written English is not
necessarily the same body of information that our students must be
required to memorize." The "required to memorize" phrasing seems a bit
loaded to me, and I don't like the second half of the statement. The
progressive view seems to be that students need to acquire language and
can do so without much conscious understanding about it. It seems to me
a revealing question to ask any writing teacher might be "What
knowledge about language do you find helpful in guiding students toward
maturity as writers; and how much of that knowledge is it useful to
pass on." I think the answer to that question might reveal quite a bit
about preparation and general approaches.
    Steve's questions are very interesting. I think you may need a single
question that can get it started or be sufficient, in which case his
first question might do very well.
   How does grammar fit. Exactly. The rest is detail.

Craig

 Great questions, Steve!  And here's a challenge for the rest of you:  I'd