ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2007 15:10:50 -0400
Gretchen,
   You shouldn't sell your class short.
   One of the problems with many "empirical" studies of grammar is that
the outcomes have been so narrowly defined. I had a long standing
disagreement with a colleague I otherwise admire (and agree with) until
I realized that he thought my advocating grammar instruction was to
REPLACE instruction in writing. Now I'm wondering how widespread that
is; the Hillocks report (and Graham and Perin) seem to compare groups of
students who have had grammar instruction with those who are actually
writing and find not at all surprisingly that the groups that write do
better on follow-up writing tests. Therefore, as this "impeccable" logic
evolved into an NCTE position, "Grammar in isolation" is harmful because
it takes valuable time away from reading and writing.
   I am a writing teacher who has come to feel that teaching of writing
is inhibited by a lack of shared understanding about language. I would
never in a million years present it as a replacement.
   What Gretchen seems to be saying is that she has different short term
goals. One is to make students into explorers of language, looking for
themselves rather than looking to the teacher for answers. Another is
that she would like students to have a deeper understanding of what a
noun is than the simple "person, place, or thing" definition that they
come in with.
  Is that useful? In isolation, it may lack payoff. What we need, I
think, is for a sense of how a deeper knowledge might build year to year
so that the teachers who get these students the next year can count on
the students knowing about nouns, build on that, and maybe put it to
work in productive ways.
   But we need to get our post-testing focused on what we are tying to
accomplish; in this case, are the students more excited about language
and do they have a deeper understanding of what nouns are (and other
aspects of language she might explore in the same way.)
   It is hard to defend grammar study without the sense of knowledge
about language as a useful goal, and it's hard for one teacher to do
that alone.

Craig