ATEG Archives

December 2000

From:
Sharon Godiska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:48:12 -0800
I've been meaning to get back to you to respond to all
the help you've given regarding the "nominative
absolute," and it appears that this is my opportunity.
 Wow. Was that sentence even right?  First of all I
want to thank everyone that did respond to my request
of teaching methods for the nominative absolute.  I
have to admit, much of my question was really for
myself.  I am always curious and looking for answers
whether they be for my own knowledge or  my students
current or future questions.  I suppose what I am
trying to say is that I felt a tad
intimidated;however, after your responses, I do
realize that this is a safe place to ask practical
questions.  There are times when I second-guess myself
and wonder if I should not be asking, because I should
know.  Along the same intimidation lines, I find
myself wondering if my grammar is correct in these
correspondences.  A K-6 teacher's major was elementary
education, not grammar, or English Literature, or
science or social studies for that matter, and if you
respect this fact and the fact that we do ask, do
teach, and want to do it correctly, then I would love
to stay on this listserv.
Sincerely,
Sharon
--- Robert Einarsson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> What Ph says is fairly inspiring:
>
> >I began teaching 24 sentence patterns
> > to them - one per week. I also have numerous
> strategies that we used to
> > reinforce the patterns throughout the week.  We
> worked with clauses,
> > participles, gerunds, infinitives.  The kids
> really liked the program and
> > their writing improved drastically.  I am not a
> researcher so I kept no
> > data.  I only know that prior to the program 0% of
> my students exceeded on
> > the state writing test and only 34% passed.  By
> the end of the second
> > year, 89% of the students were exceeding and 11%
> meeting.  I continued the
> > program and am now sharing it with other teachers
> who are reporting the
> > same successes.
>
> This sounds like something that BOTH the elementary
> and the
> senior levels of grammar teaching can take an
> interest in.
>
> I hope that the elementary teachers do not start a
> separate
> listserve.
>
> If the listserve as is hasn't been hospitable enough
> to elementary
> interests then we should start.
>
> I would ask the elementary set to give us another
> chance:  post in
> with some practical questions and give us another
> chance to
> propose a practical answer!

> Sincerely, Robert Einarsson
> please visit me at
> www.artsci.gmcc.ab.ca/people/einarssonb
>
> To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit
> the list's web interface at:
> and select "Join or leave the list"

=====
ABC*123*abc*123*ABC*123*abc*123*ABC*123*abc*123ABC*123*abc*

Mrs. S. Godiska
Sixth Grade Teacher
East Hills Middle School
Bethlehem, PA 18017