ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
Suzanne S Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:50:31 -0700
Technically, a definition should include not only the term to be defined,
but the class of things it belongs to and what it is that differentiates it
from all others of that class. Thus,
TERM: dime
CLASS: a coin of the U. S.
DIFFERENTIUM: worth 1/10 of a dollar.
Beyond that, dictionaries generally offer the category (i.e. part of
speech), pronunciation, etymology, and date the word entered the language.
The order and style of these items differ from dictionary to dictionary (and
perhaps even within dictionaries). Rather than use a dictionary as a model,
however, I suggest you check the style and format used in a glossary of
terms put out by a professional organization such as the one used by
geologists, for example. (I think it is published by AGI--which I assume is
the American Geological Institute, but I'm not sure about that--and in the
30 years since I looked at one, it may have been taken over by the US
Geological Survey.)
Sue Webb