ATEG Archives

February 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:10:19 -0500
Karl,
    I couldn't agree more. We can also add that a certain amount of
redundancy is very natural, even valuable, in the system. We may have
two or three elements working together, reinforcing the same meaning
(or function.) "After we had finished the roof, we quit for the day."
There are three elements here working toward establishing the
relationship between the events: "after" as head of subordinate
clause, choice of "finished" as lexical verb, and use of past perfect
in the verb phrase. Whether we need all three is an open question, but
it would be wrong to single out any one of these as "error."

Craig

Craig,