ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 09:46:01 +0100
>Richard,

I agree with what Eduard implies in his message of the 18th.  One cannot
compare modern methods of teaching foreign languages with the teaching of
Standard English to native speakers with a strong local vernacular.  The
aims are quite different:  modern foreign-language teaching today
concentrates on acquiring spoken fluency in everyday interaction and is very
successful in producing this result:  however, it does not aim at producing
the ability to write language at a high level of education.  In England no
one today would expect a pupil who has passed French at 'A' grade in the
GCSE examination (16 years) to be able to start to read Balzac or even to
write a literary essay on him, yet that is what was taken for granted 40
years ago when the grammar-based approach was dominant.  Fluency was picked
up on exchange visits to France.

To abandon grammar in the teaching of English, adopt the modern
foreign-language methods, and still produce a high level of educated
English, one would have to transport pupils into a milieu in which they were
surrounded all day long by people speaking nothing but Standard English!

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright
3 Boathouse Court
Trafalgar Road
Cambridge
CB4 1DU
England

Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://www.cus.cam.ac.uk/~elw33
Phone [00 44] (0)1223 350256

 Over the years I've studied a number of living and dead languages