ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Robert Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2006 18:51:51 -0500
I sure wish I understood what this means.

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/02/06 10:58 AM >>>

> Native speakers don't need to be told where a noun is in a
> sentence; if they're taught the noun signals (my emphasis).

I tutored reading at my sons' public schools in both Minneapolis and
Lafayette, LA.  These kids have no idea what a noun is.  And they are
totally at a loss speaking, writing, and reading Standard English.

What does it mean to say that native speakers who are 6?, 7?, 8? and are
"at a loss speaking . . . Standard English."

Do they put "the" or "a" in front of dog?
How do such children make a plural of "boy"?

Of course, it is possible they use some non-standard form for "dog" or
"boy" that I am not familiar with.

Bob Yates, Central Missouri State University