ATEG Archives

January 2015

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:57:12 -0800
I assume you mean the difference in semantics. (In terms of syntax, 'should' selects a bare infinitive verb as a complement whereas 'ought' selects the to-infinitive.)

In the most common uses, should and ought are interchangeable, so in your examples, I would say they're synonymous. But there are a number of constructions where you can only use 'should', for example:

It is regrettable that he should be unhappy.
If he should be unhappy, apologize for me.
How surprising it is that he should be unhappy.
I sent my mother flowers lest she should think I had forgotten her.