ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2006 20:01:42 -0400
Eduard,

You very slightly misrepresent the status of arguments on the innateness hypothesis.  While I agree with Sampson that the Innateness Hypothesis is seriously underdetermined by the data, Sampson's alternative is also too vaguely stated to be called a hypothesis.  While I tend to opt for the cognitivist position, that's a matter of opinion and temperament, not of fact.  We don't as yet know enough about either language or cognition to claim that a certain relationship exists between them.  Such claims may be interestingly argued but cannot be anywhere near conclusive.  Sampson doesn't falsify (and you didn't claim this) Pinker's position.  Rather he shows that we can't yet support one position or the other empirically.  In such a situation I incline towards the less specific.  There is a strong philosophical tradition beyond inclining towards the more specific too, especially since the stronger position is more explicit and therefore easier to falsify.  While I have an opinion, I am agnostic as to the outcome of the debate.  I suspect both sides are wrong.

Herb