ATEG Archives

December 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2010 18:10:38 -0500
Gregg,
    I am not sure how John would answer this. A corpus grammar simply
looks at a large body (corpus) of texts and examines various patterns.
In that sense, it is decidedly empirical. Once that's done, though,
you need to be able to explain the patterns. Biber et. al., who have
done the Longman corpus grammar, say it becomes apparent fairly
quickly that what we have is a lexico-grammar, that there is no strict
boundary between our words and our grammar.
    I have done a sort of mild corpus look at nouns with students. I
simply ask every student to pick a dictionary page at random and pick
out the words that the dictionary lists as nouns. (With a handful of
paperback dictionaries, you can do it in a classroom. I usually do it
as homework.) Then, from the full list, I ask them to put the words
into categories that make sense to them. What do "cat" and
"catastrophe" have in common? It's fun, and I think students find it
useful.
    In another, more formal exercise, I ask students to find a word that
is classified as at least two parts of speech and research its
history, using the OED. I ask a number of questions. It becomes
obvious fairly quickly that words move readily from one category to
another.

Craig

 John & Craig,