ATEG Archives

November 2007

From:
Nancy Tuten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:09:22 -0500
An honors student at the college where I teach is doing a senior project in
which she is surveying English language arts teachers across our state to
see (1) how much grammar they teach (and how--in response to errors in
papers? through isolated instruction?), (2) how they felt about learning
grammar when they were students, (3) how they feel about grammar now, and
(4) how prepared they feel they are to teach grammar. It isn't a highly
scientific study, but I'm sure she would be happy to share what she finds
out.

That's only part of her project; the main part is a summary of the history
of grammar instruction in this country--a brief review of the grammar wars
along with an annotated bibliography that she can share with other education
majors (and we have many).  I'm sure many of you will be cited in her paper!

Best,
Nancy

Nancy L. Tuten, PhD
Professor of English
Director of the Writing-across-the-Curriculum Program
Columbia College
Columbia, South Carolina
803-786-3706