ATEG Archives

February 2001

From:
"Wollin, Edith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:52:49 -0800
Jeff, do you really find that all students come to you ready to use all of
the structures of written English? Most of the teachers that I know have
students who sometimes attach adverb clauses in strange ways, who misplace
relative clauses, who can't keep parallelism going, who don't use participle
phrases, appositives, appositive adjectives. Well, you know that the list
goes on. I have found that conscious grammar work and sentence combining do
help these problems. They give the students syntactic choices that they did
not have before because they had not mastered the grammar unconsciously.
Edith Wollin