ATEG Archives

February 2006

From:
"Hadley, Tim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 23:27:44 -0600
At our conference last summer, vice-president Kathryn Rogers pointed out--wisely, I thought--that many people have worked very hard, for many years, to improve ATEG's position in NCTE, and that we won't benefit by positioning ourselves as enemies attacking as outsiders. I feel this tension also as the editor of our journal. On the one hand, we vigorously object to the NCTE position on grammar. Phil is right-- it IS "reprehensible" (great word).

But on the other hand, we have to see the wisdom, and the positive results, of Martha's (and others') patient "working within the system" through the years to make inroads when and where they can be made. I see this happening with Craig's Scope and Sequence project as well. So, while we fight to educate NCTE, we also attempt to wisely use the political skills at our disposal to make the battle as easy as possible.

BTW--Martha's comment about me uncovering some new things is correct. I keep stumbling across things that indict the anti-grammar positions of Braddock, Hartwell, Hillocks, and others. My latest discovery is a new book titled _Publication Bias in Meta-Analysis_, which details the many ways in which the author of a meta-analysis can prejudice the results by, among other things, suppressing the results of studies that do not agree with the conclusion that they prefer. For example, few people realize that in Hillocks's 1986 meta-analysis, the section that contained the condemnation of grammar  was based on only 3 studies, or that he eliminated 16 studies that showed a positive relationship between grammar and writing because of various flaws (according to Hillocks) in the studies' research design. In this new book, this would be called "outcome bias" or "selection bias" and would never pass muster today. But at the time, meta-analysis was a new thing, and few people (especially in English) understood it, so virtually no objection was raised to what Hillocks did.

I will be presenting this material at the 2006 national convention of the College English Association in San Antonio April 2-6.

Tim

Tim Hadley
Research Assistant, The Graduate School
Ph.D. candidate, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University
Editor, ATEG Journal