ATEG Archives

March 2005

From:
Edward Vavra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:48:50 -0500
John,
     I've been waiting to see the response to your post, and I'm
disappointed that thus far I haven't seen any. I share your concern
about the expectations in the Washington public school system, but those
expectations are not very different from other sets of expectations that
I have seen. Unfortunately, I have never seen this group clearly address
the question of what should be taught in K-12. A month or so ago,
Michael posted that question on this list, asking for some discussion,
but his post was likewise met with dead silence. Perhaps some ATEG
members are working on this off list, but I would have to wonder why the
question cannot be addressed on the list.
      From my perspective, a major problem with the Washington list is
that it reflects no understanding of natural language development or of
the causes of various errors. The problem is not an easy one to tackle,
but if you are interested, you can explore (or join in with) my own
efforts. Perhaps the best place to start would be with the Guide to
Using the KISS Grammar Workbooks at:

http://home.pct.edu/~evavra/kiss/wb/LPlans/Guide_Book1.htm
Ed Vavra

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/28/05 8:18 AM >>>
The following Web site contains a listing of expectations for grammar
teaching in the Washington public school system:

http://www.k12.wa.us/curriculuminstruct/writing/frameworks/conventions.aspx

While I am happy to see grammar instruction making a comeback
anywhere, I am concerned about the content of the list that is posted.
 I think ATEG should get involved here.  If you agree with me that
there are problems with the list, I would suggest either of two
options (and am certainly open to more):

1)  Send an e-mail to the contact person for the site, whose address
is provided therein, expressing your concerns.

2)  Reply back to this listserv or to me privately
([log in to unmask]).  I will compile everybody's concerns and send
them to the contact person, noting that they are from concerned ATEG
members.

As the pendulum swings back toward grammar instruction in K-12, I
think ATEG should provide some leadership.  If we haven't done so
already, perhaps those of you with more knowledge in the area than I
could come up with our own list of grade-appropriate instructional
targets / objectives and make it available through NCTE to all of the
public school districts.  We tend on rare occasion to be a rather
contentious group, but maybe just this once . . . .

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
John

interface at: