ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2007 12:31:04 -0700
IQ is, appropriately, being questioned as a measure of intelligence
and especially learning or achievement potential. IQ tests are
culturally biased towards the kinds of cognitive tasks that Western
Europeans take as standards. Some of the content is also culturally
biased, if the IQ test I took about ten years ago is representative.

"The Bell Curve" is not only political, it is racist, suggesting that
African Americans are genetically predisposed to low IQ.

I haven't been following this discussion, so I don't know the context
of the argument that one shouldn't explain or one shouldn't group
more-proficient with less-proficient students. A good teacher
monitors group work and mixes up groups to make sure that the
stronger students do not always do all the work. I find nothing wrong
with stronger students "tutoring" weaker ones, as this fosters
explanation skills, tolerance, and sociability, and gives the
stronger students something to do if they solve a problem quickly.

As to all students achieving, there will be students whose talents
lie elsewhere in any subject. We teach to a level that is challenging
but accessible to the average student, but include tasks and material
to keep students at both higher and lower levels motivated. We can't
always motivate or teach to all groups; children must learn that the
world will not always cater to their individual needs, and that
patience, tolerance, and the ability to occupy their minds
independently are necessary tasks for life. I learned a lot about the
structure of ball-point pens while waiting for my weaker classmates
to struggle through their turn at reading chapters out of the
geography book; I also read ahead and made up homework time!

In an ideal world, schools would have programs for gifted students
and aid for weaker students. The prevalence of after-school programs
is also an ideal (but no doubt underfunded) venue for such programs.

CA class materials include supplements for stronger and weaker
students. I know that many teachers have such large classes and tight
curricular schedules that they can't always use such materials to
full advantage. But at least they're there, and I assume many other
states use similar materials.

May I politely suggest to DD Farms that he think twice about using
such words as "dummies" and "nublie chicks". I don't mean to be the
thought or language police, but I have no doubt that such terms will
offend some listers and may lead people to make assumptions (whether
accurate or false) about DD's disposition towards certain social groups.

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Dept.
Cal Poly State University San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Ofc. tel. : 805-756-2184
Dept. tel.: 805-756-2596
Dept. fax: 805-756-6374