ATEG Archives

December 2014

From:
"Conway, Glenda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2014 18:20:31 -0600
I'm loving this conversation about adverb placements. I am teaching Advanced English Grammar in Spring; it's going to be fun to tell my students about this one.

Glenda

Glenda Conway

Professor, English

Coordinator, Harbert Writing Center

Department of English and Foreign Languages

University of Montevallo

Montevallo, AL 35115

205 665 6425 office

205 482 4380 cell

________________________________
From: Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: split infinitive
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 17:08:58 -0500

Bruce,

Judgments are individual, but I still find the two sentences you mention more awkward than the corresponding sentence with the split infinitive.

The queen told the page to enter quietly the chamber where the king was sleeping.

 Adverbs in English almost never come between a transitive verb and its object:. We'd never say the following:

      He was eating too slowly his food, so he needed to finish quickly the meal and get right away a taxi.

The queen told the page to enter the chamber quietly where the king was sleeping.

Adverbs in English do not comfortably come between a noun and a relative clause that modifies it. I would revise every one of these:

      He polished the car carefully that he bought for his mother.
       I admire the poems enormously Galway Kinnell wrote.
      She remembers the day fondly when he proposed to her.
      Kevin confronted the politician angrily who took bribes.

Dick

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Dick,

I don't think your second and third points are very well supported.  My argument is admittedly not stronger.  It looks to me that the problem arises because of 1) the transitivity of the verb, and 2) the length of the whole object of the verb.  It seems to me that the adverb can indeed interrupt the whole object:

The queen told the page to enter quietly the chamber where the king was sleeping.

The queen told the page to enter the chamber quietly where the king was sleeping.

In this way the parse resolves the adverb before the rest of the object is classified more fully.  What makes the second option a little awkward is the fact that enter may often stand without an object (its object understood).  The third option is not too much to expect in a formal style, where it is customary to avoid splitting the infinitive.  Even  less modern would have been the English of King James; presumably those dialects would probably not have worded the indirect command as an infinitive, perhaps:

The queen said unto the page, that he should enter quietly the chamber wherein the king was sleeping.

The queen said unto the page, that he should enter the chamber quietly wherein the king was sleeping.

Later:

The queen told the page, that he should quietly enter the chamber where the king was sleeping.

Perhaps it is the pressure of this latter (formal) construction that wants the modern speaker to split the infinitive.

Bruce