ATEG Archives

September 2010

Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2010 10:04:59 -0400
In any case, for me the book seems worth pursuing and I appreciate your
bringing it to my attention.  I also get LINCOLM catalogs but missed
that entry.

I liked Joshua's idea.  I liked it so much that I used it in my 7th grade
English class in Apopka in 1961.  The only drawback was the high coast of
the poster board that I used--a $300 a month salary did not go very far so
I never was that extravagant again.  The A students in my class composed
compound-complex sentences.  One imaginative student used a nominative
absolute--(I gave her an extra A for that but warned students that her
example was an exception).

TO graduate from Mississippi Southern College in the '50s and early '60's
one had to pass the Junior English exam, which consisted of writing a theme
in a one-hour time period on a topic assigned at the actual time of the
test.  Students were expected to use compound and complex sentence
structure: those writing in all simple (one main clause-no subordinate)
sentences failed the test and had to retake it.  Beginning the Junior year
the test could be taken each quarter in which you were enrolled.  One
student completed coursework for his MA in history (and his thesis) but
dropped out of school without his BS because he could not pass the test--and
he had no literacy problems or learning disabilities: he just could not
write themes (he had taken his lowerclass coursework at a prominent
university that did not require themes).

Scott Catledge
Date:    Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:06:46 -0400
From:    Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: ATEG Digest - 8 Sep 2010 to 9 Sep 2010 (#2010-149)

While I appreciate notices, my curiosity is piqued by The Progressive in the
History of English by Paloma Nunez-Pertejo--a nine-year-old
dissertation/six-year-old book listed as "forthcoming."  I had missed the
original publication but intend to buy the new (price permitting).  Is it a
revised version (with the old ISBN?) or a reprinting?  In either case it
seems worth having.

Scott Catledge

  1. Forthcoming Books (2)

Date:    Thu, 9 Sep 2010 14:11:45 -0500

From:    John Dews-Alexander <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: Forthcoming Books
Here are a few forthcoming books that ATEGers might find interesting.

A Dictionary of English Affixes* by Gabriele Stein (ISBN 9783895863875)

*The Spelling Patterns of English* by Andrew G. Rollings (ISBN 3895867586)

*The Progressive in the History of English* by Paloma Nunez-Pertejo (ISBN

389586742X)

John

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 10 Sep 2010 12:17:45 -0500
From:    John Dews-Alexander <[log in to unmask]>

--0016367d5c8ed00838048feaee53

Scott, thanks for the additional information. I wasn't familiar with
Nunez-Pertejo's work but now see what you mean.

The full title of the book is *The Progressive in the History of English
with Special Reference to the Early Modern English Period: A Corpus-Based
Study*.

I was skimming a LINCOM publication when the titles caught my eye. LINCOM
publications aren't available via Amazon.com in the U.S., but they are
available in European versions. When I look up the ISBN listed for the text
at amazon.de, I find that the book has a copyright of 2004.

So, it is likely that I was duped by tricky semantics! The "forthcoming"
item would appear to be nothing more than the 2011 catalog, which contains
new and existing books. The other two books I noted may also be existing and
not "forthcoming."

Thanks for pointing that out!

John

Date:    Fri, 10 Sep 2010 19:37:35 -0400
From:    Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: riddles and puzzles

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for sharing these ideas--I'm sure I'll be borrowing from them. :)

Beth

>>> "Joshua D. Hill" <[log in to unmask]> 09/08/10 3:30 PM >>>

advanced grammar class, here are a few examples:
- I give groups of students two sets of ten sentences (20 slips of paper). =
 One set is in the ten sentence patterns and is numbered accordingly.  The =
other set is unnumbered.  Before these college students get any instruction=
 about sentence/clause patterns, I have them match the "like" sentences =
and then try to come up with a formula that explains the likenesses =
between each pair of matched sentences.  Usually, working together, 3/4 of =
the students are able to come up with the ten sentence patterns on their =
own (from the given examples).
- I repeat this exercise with the ten sentence patterns represented in =
relative and subordinate clauses (pulled out of their contexts).  This =
reinforced the sentence patterns while introducing the common link between =
different types of clauses.  I usually put a relative clause and a =
subordinate clause together in the same sentence pattern.
- Some years ago, I created a Grammar Game which is modeled roughly on "Go =
Fish."  A game can be played by 2-4 pairs of students.  Each team draws =
ten random pieces from the bag.  These pieces include an assortment of =
noun phrases, verb phrases, whole clauses, different kinds of phrases, =
conjunctions, adverbs, etc.  Each team is also given a card that describes =
the type of sentence they should attempt to build (e.g. "Compound Pattern =
VII + Pattern III, with one participle phrase).  A point value is on the =
card, corresponding roughly to the difficulty (probability) of putting =
together that particular construction.  To play, each team asks another =
team for a specific piece (e.g. "Do you have any "be" verbs?").  If no, =
then the asking team draws from the bag.  If yes, the asking team gets the =
piece, and the "robbed" team draws from the bag.  After five times around, =
if at least one team has accomplished its sentence, then the team(s) =
submit their boards for inspection by the rest.  Add-ons over and above =
the prescribed sentence have set values that can be added to the value =
already set by the team's card.
- Though not so much a puzzle, it's also a helpful generative exercise to =
give students a list of regular and phrasal prepositions, then have them =
create (in teams) the longest version of "There's a hole in the bottom of =
the sea" that they can.  Then make them sing it.
- for participle phrases, I show them a picture that suggests a number of =
actions.  First, I ask them to make a list of the actions that can be said =
to be occurring in the picture.  Then we turn those verbs into participles.=
  Then we arrange participles under their corresponding nouns and add =
detail onto the tails of the participles.  The result is a participle =
phrase poem describing the picture.  Again, a more generative exercise.
- for restrictive and non-restrictive elements, give the students a =
paragraph with several modifiers underlined or highlighted.  Have them =
cover those modifiers with strips of paper and read the sentences (and =
paragraph).  If the result is general hilarity, because cutting out the =
modifier changed the meaning of the sentence, then the modifier was =
probably restrictive and needs no commas.  If no hilarity, have them put =
commas.  (E.g. "Dogs who are neutered tend to get fat").  For a physical =
exercise, have them squat to read the non-restrictive modifiers and stand =
while reading the rest of the sentence (while following that intonation =
pattern also with their voices).

Some of these things would not be appropriate (in my opinion) for younger =
students, or students who need to use Standard Edited English more than =
they need to be able to talk about it.  I pity the K-12 student who is =
trained to use "seven of the ten different sentence patterns" in each =
paragraph he writes, as was one poor soul who took my college composition =
course years ago.

Just a few things I've tried over the last few years.

Joshua Hill

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface =
at:

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

End of ATEG Digest - 9 Sep 2010 to 10 Sep 2010 (#2010-150)