ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:24:21 -0400
Craig,

I agree that the four open classes are the clearest, easiest to define
notionally, and probably the best to present at lower levels.  As to
auxiliaries, "have", "do" and "be" are examples of words that can be in
two different classes, auxiliary and verb, and their behavior differs
depending on which class a particular example represents.  Multiple
class membership and auxiliary are both items for later introduction, I
would think.

As to the status of "numeral", number words do not inflect.  Adjectives
do.  Number words can take derivational suffixes like "-th" and "-some",
which adjectives cannot take.  Notionally, they can't be comparative or
superlative.  Number words must occur initially in a noun phrase or
between the determiner and any adjectives, so they are syntactically
distinct as well.  They are like adjectives in that they are
post-determiner, pronominal, and are attributive and can, to a degree,
be predicative, as in the somewhat archaic "Now they were three",
indicating number, not age.  Unlike nouns, they don't take plurals, and
when they are used as sole noun phrases, as in "I saw three on the
table", they are usually elliptical ("three books").  So there are both
morphological and syntactic criteria for considering numerals a word
class.  However, it's one I'd present rather late in K12.

Like you, I'm uncomfortable with "adverb".  The distinctions among
sentence-modifying, verb phrase modifying, and adjective-modifying words
are too great, from my perspective, to allow them to be properties of
one word class.  I would prefer at least distinguishing intensifiers,
like "very" and "sort of".  But it's also a practical pedagogical
question, and I wouldn't oppose keeping the term as is.  I would, later
on in K12, want to distinguish carefully among types of adverb, though.

I'm not comfortable speculating on scope and sequence, since I don't
teach K12 and have no expertise in K12 curriculum.  I would want such
decisions made by people who know those areas well.

Herb