ATEG Archives

December 2010

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 2010 23:39:09 -0500
Jan,

The so-called "long s" is the form of the letter that was used up into the 19th c. in initial and medial positions.  The "short" or "terminal" s, the only lower case form we use today, was used only at the end of a word.  The long s is easily confused with f, especially by modern readers who aren't used to the long s.  They differ generally in that the long s lacks the cross-bar that f has.  However, some fonts had a half bar extending to the left rather than a cross-bar, and those are especially easy to confuse.  I ran an OCR program on an 18th c. text once, and all of the long s's were interpreted as f's.  The results were sometimes hilarious.  Because of the confusion with f, the long s ceased to be used by the early 19th c.  The symbol connecting c and t is called a ligature.

Herb