ATEG Archives

February 1998

From:
Kathryn Gunderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 11:39:46 -0800
I'm interested in the "empirical evidence" showing that students
best access their intuitions about language through studying
another language, especially since I didn't seem to fit into
that category.  When I studied French, I received As but never
did figure out what an indirect object was.  THEN I studied
syntax, and then when I studied Latin, lots more clicked, as
it did when I studied Italian on my own.

Some of my grammar students do say that they have learned
something about English grammar from studying Spanish,
but I wonder whether that's not just because in a foreign
language class, students are taught grammar more explicitly
and more intensively, or maybe they just don't remember
what they learned as children? (Most of my students will
swear they were never taught grammar, or at the most, they
vaguely recall lots of lines going in all directions, i.e.,
diagramming, although they can no longer do it, they say!)

Kathryn Gunderson
Department of English
California State University, Hayward
Hayward, CA  94542