ATEG Archives

January 2008

From:
Nancy Tuten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:44:00 -0500
I often tell my students about the family who used to live across the street
from us (I really couldn't avoid them) and had "The Barnes" painted on their
mailbox. I tell the students that it would be no different than my having
"The Tuten" on my mailbox. I had to fight the urge to go over there under
cover of darkness and use a fat Sharpie to add the "es"--or at least to add
the word "Family" behind the name. Thank goodness they moved.

How about the lanes in grocery stores for patrons purchasing "Ten items or
less"?  I tell my students (and it's not true, but they get a kick out of
it) that I will shop only at Publix grocery stores because the signs in
those stores say "Ten items or fewer."

And then there are the signs across roads announcing "Prepare to stop when
flashing." (But officer, I wasn't flashing!)

I guess I am, after all, a recovering prescriptivist . . .

Nancy L. Tuten, PhD
Professor of English
Director of the Writing-across-the-Curriculum Program
Columbia College
Columbia, South Carolina
803-786-3706