ATEG Archives

February 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:16:41 -0500
John,
   If you read about the process of change in England, teacher preparation
was and has been a huge issue.  In their case, grammar was mandated
from on top and very few teachers felt prepared.  The sense I get is
that it has taken a generation to bring about real change.  There are
now committed and prepared teachers in place, even if still a minority.
There's also an interesting history of change in Australia, which I
wish I knew more about.
    Many people on the list are directly involved in teacher training and
many report not getting the appropriate respect from Education
programs or English departments. (On the other hand, I'm currently in
discussion about teaching a graduate course in "grammar and writing".
Unfortunately, those who want it aren't the same as those who would
approve it. We can fight these battles locally). In too many cases, a
single survey course in linguistics has been thought sufficient.  We
need a more realistic recommendation in place.  Ny own sense is that
three courses are more realistic minimum, with one being a survey of
linguistics as a field, one being a comprehensive survey of syntax,
and another focused on applications to teaching.>We should also
encourage a core of teachers who specialize in language much as most
other teachers specialize in literature.
   We definitely need volunteers to work on this part of the project.

Craig

Welcome to ATEG, Phil!