ATEG Archives

December 1997

From:
Jim Dubinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 08:21:39 -0500
[This message  was originally submitted  by
[log in to unmask] to the ATEG list]

I know /who I saw last night/.

Undoubtedly, what I call a 'wh-sentence' can fill the object slot in this
sentence. The following items can, too. Therefore I call these items
'wh-sentences'. Thus 'Jack' is a wh-sentence.

If you don't agree let's start with this:

I know /about it.

'about it' is traditionally called a 'prepositional phrase'. As the items
below can all be in the same spot, I call them all 'prepositional phrases'.
'Jack' then is a prepositional phrase.

that he did it
her
about it
he did it
if he saw her
whether everybody is ok
Jack

What I mean to say - why take 'Jack' of all things as a starting-point and
then call everything else 'nouns'?
Burkhard Leuschner - Paedagogische Hochschule Schwaebisch Gmuend, Germany
E-mail: [log in to unmask]    [h]    Fax: +49 7383 2212