ATEG Archives

March 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 2009 13:47:46 -0500
I've been running examples through my head, and I *think* that -- at
least in my case -- the possibility of having the Recipient as Subject
of a passive is related to the specific verb used. "I was given a cake"
sets off no alarms at all; "I was baked a cake" bothers me. I suspect it
has to do with the frequency with which the verb is accompanied by a
Recipient argument in normal usage. It's almost impossible to use "give"
without one, but "bake" seldom has one. I don't think it's a matter of
some verbs being "underlyingly 100% ditransitive," since "I was tossed a
hot potato" works fine for me, and 'toss' doesn't seem to require a
Recipient nearly as often as 'give'.

I'm using "recipient," by the way, partly to dodge the whole "Is it an
IO if it's in a prepositional phrase?" debate.

Sincerely,

Bill Spruiell