ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
"O'Sullivan, Brian P" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 2009 03:52:39 -0400
Susan,

I'm surprised that you thought I was "railing" and had "strict anger." I was feeling pretty mellow, actually. I'm dubious about what I called "made-up rules"--and at times I even venture to be critical of them--but I do not hate them with the undying wrath that you seem to think you're picking up from me.

We do seem to agree that something that is sometimes called "training wheels" can be useful--but I think we define that "something" differently, and we may have different perspectives on the amount of damage that has been caused by misapplication of training wheels. I think that training wheels in teh form of scaffolding (modelling and guided practice of skills just at the edge of students' reach)  can be grat, while training wheels in the form of made-up (or, to be more precise, unwarranted) rules can do more harm than good.  (I would not, however, agree with you that teachers who misuse training wheels are "stupid." "Rigid" and "dogmatic," OK, but "stupid" seems over the top, don't you think?)

I didn't say that you personally teach students not to begin sentences with "because." My point was that, whoever is teaching this "rule," some students seem to believe in it for a long time without learning what it was presumably intended to teach (writing in complete sentences). These students get an unintended drawback of the training wheels without getting much of the intended benefit--so this is one instance of training wheels doing mroe harm than good. (Your point that professional writers use sentence fragment is true, of course. But I hope we can agree that "avoid sentence fragments," or "write in complete sentences," is not a made-up rule in quite the same way that something like "never start a sentence with 'because'" is a made-up rule. The former is a norm of effective writing, though it can be strategically and effectively deviated from; the latter is not even a norm.

Also, I wasn't "changing your argument"; I wasn't even characterizing your argument. (Actually, I avoided characterizing it, because it hasn't always been been completely clear to me; at one point, if I remember right, you quoted a handout that said that experienced writers vary their sentence starts 50% of the time, and I thought you were encouraging students to try to match that hallmark; but lately your more moderate position has become more evident.) Anyway, I didn't say that *you* "tell students that using a large amount of sentence starter variation is a hallmark of good writers"; I said that *I* would not want to tell students that. My point was that I wouldn't want to make "vary sentence structures often" a rule, which would be one kind of "training wheels," because I don't think such a rule is borne out by the practices of strong writers. But I wouldn't mind modelling the effective use of sentence straters and having students practice it, which is another kind of "training wheels," or scaffolding. What I'm describing may not really be very different from what you practice; I'll leave that for you to judge.

I think this conversation started, just about, when Craig said that he considered "vary sentence starters" an example of bad advice. As I now understand your argument, you might actually agree with Craig's statement, IF "very sentence structures" is interpreted as an absolute or near-absolute commandment. So I don't think the different sides of this conversation are as far apart as they may sometimes have seemed to be. They're just different enough to make things interesting.

Brian

Brian O'Sullivan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English
Director of the Writing Center