ATEG Archives

December 2006

From:
Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2006 16:40:03 +0000

Geoff,

As an Englishman I judge that we English would never say 'graduate high
school', (1) for 'to graduate' is an intransitive verb in English English,
and (2) it is only used of graduating from the UNIVERSITY.  We do not call
gaining one's 'GCSE' (General Certificate of Education -- at 16) or
'A-Level' (Advanced level GCSE -- at 18) 'graduating' at all.  Most
secondary schools (only a minority of which are called 'high schools') hold
what is called a 'Speech Day' later the following year, a day on which a
visiting dignitary formally presents the GCSE and A-Level certificates and
any school prizes that are offered to the students of these two different
ages, who have left school at different times.  Thus Speech Days have never
been referred to as performing 'graduation'.

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright
3 Boathouse Court
Trafalgar Road