ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2008 20:50:03 -0500
There does appear to be some language-specific knowledge that we have at birth, knowledge of the prosodics of our mother's tongue.  While the subtleties of consonant and vowel acoustics don't pass through skin, subcutaneous fat, muscle, amniotic fluid, and other tissues, changes in loudness, pitch, and duration appear to.  There is observational and experimental evidence that neonates already have some productive and receptive knowledge of intonation, stress, and rhythm.  This is, however, not innate, because it differs from language to language.  It's learned from the time the fetus's hearing begins to function.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University