ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
"O'Sullivan, Brian P" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2009 22:15:26 -0400
>Hurts, donut?

Well, no, it "do nut", actually. (I know you're addressing Craig, but, since he was agreeing with me, I'm going to take a shot at answering this.)

Grammar isn't training wheels.  If you want a bicycle-riding analogy, I'd say grammar--especially as I've seen some of the real experts on this list practice it--is more like the physics of bicycle riding. Grammar describes the functioning of language, as physics describes the functioning of matter and energy. (That's not to say students shouldn't learn about grammar before the twelfth grade, by the way. Children riding bikes may not be ready to understand velocity and gravity scientifically, but it behooves them to have at least an intuitive sense of what velocity and gravity can do.)

I don't think that everything that gets called "training wheels" in education is bad. On the contrary, "training wheels" are often used as an example of the important educational techniques called "scaffolding." In scaffolding, an instructor offers modeling, guided practice and finally independent practice to help a student master tasks in his or her "zone of proximal development" (ZPD)--Vygotsky's term for the level of skill just beyond what the student is already capable of by himself or herself. Research and intuition (mine and many others') seem to agree that scaffolding can be a good thing.

But there's a difference between modeling and guided practice, which is what scaffolding usually refers to in education studies, and made-up rules, which are at least part of what "training wheels" has meant in this discussion. I think that a lot of us have noticed that students have internalized certain made-up rules without actually having internalized the underlying skills or principles that those "rules" were presumably supposed to scaffold.  But if a college student avoids starting sentences with because but still writes sentence fragments--and yes, I have known such students--then I'm thinking that, yes, those training wheels did more harm than good.

Speaking only for myself, I don't see anything wrong with modeling ways in which effective writers use sentence starters, guiding students in practicing these ways, and then expecting them to practice independently in their papers.  That process looks to me like a good kind of "training wheels," or scaffolding. Ideally, I'd want to talk with students  about why different kinds of sentence starters are effective or ineffective in different context, and how this is related to more fundamental issues of topicality and coherence. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to tell them students that using a large amount of sentence starter variation is a hallmark of good writers. That doesn't seem to be true, according to research that we've heard about in this conversation; it seems to be a made-up rule, and I think that's the wrong kind of "training wheels."

Brian

Brian O'Sullivan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English
Director of the Writing Center