ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 09:46:10 -0400
  I believe John Crow disseminated this to the list just after our
conference, but I will do so again as part of an attempt to give
background to scope and sequence. We spent considerable time discussing
the wording, but there seemed a strong consensus in favor of "explcit
knowledge" and a "systematic framework". Here's the statement as voted
on by the full conference.

   Students should have explicit knowledge of the nature and structure of
language.  In addition to its value for understanding what it means to
be human, this knowledge is a powerful tool that helps students to
develop critical thinking, to explore cultural diversity, and to
strengthen reading and writing.
   Accordingly, as educators, we propose a systematic framework for the
teaching of grammar.

Craig