ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:26:45 -0500
    Again, a message got sent incomplete (and unrevised.)  I apologize
again.  If this one doesn't work, I'll give up.
   I think we can and do say things like "I fixed the crack that was
running from the top of the chimney to the mantle," where "running" is
more locative than active.> It feels a little less likely, but not
wrong.
   Existential clauses tend to postpone the subject.  When the verb is
linking (copular), we can also usually flip elements before and after
the verb, even when they aren't noun phrases.  "So sweet were her
lips."  "By the river stood a strange man in black."  So it makes sense
that these are possible as solutions. Whatever comes last in a written
clause generally draws emphasis. But fronting an unpredictable element
draws a kind of attention as well. (It's highly marked.  The assumption
is that an unusual structure was presented for a reason.)
   The main meaning of the sentence seems to be that the white hair is
there. The rest expands (details) out our sense of what the white hair
is like.
   I would echo a number of people in praising the flexibility of the
writer in making this construction. Other than the awkward comment, the
sentence doesn't need correcting OUT OF CONTEXT. The sentences before
and after matter very much in judging its role in the unfolding of
meaning.
   John, it's good to see you posting to the list.  I'm very happy you're
still with us.

Craig

 A fascinating sentence, both image and structure, and an interesting set