ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
Edgar Schuster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 2009 20:11:37 -0400
After reading in a high school textbook that student writers should
avoid beginning sentences with conjunctions in "formal" writing, I
reached for the two most formal books on my shelf:  Sir Randolph
Quirk's "Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language" and Albert
Baugh's "Literary History of England."  In the former, a sentence
beginning with "yet" occurs in the second paragraph of the Preface and
a sentence beginning with "but" occurs in the first paragraph of
Chapter One.  In Baugh, "nor" introduces a sentence in the first
paragraph of the Preface and "but" introduces a sentence in the first
paragraph of Chapter One.
I couldn't help noticing the subjects of the sentences in Quirk's
Preface:  The opening sentence has a long prep phrase and his second
sentence opens with "In 1972," followed by "there," but after that,
his subjects are "this," "these two," this," and "it."
I've done quite a bit of research on sentence openings; it
demonstrates that professional writers vary their sentence openings
very little.  About two-thirds of the time, they open with the
subjects of their sentences; about ten percent of the time, they open
with prepositional phrases.

Ed S