ATEG Archives

June 2006

From:
Scott Lavitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 20:28:30 -0700
Dear list,

As callers say on radio talk shows, "long time
[listener], first time [caller]." I've been following
the interesting topics on this list for a few years,
since a prof in grad school recommended it.

Will someone please clarify for me which is the proper
possessive form in the sentence "NickJr.com is a
kid's/kids' website"?

I'm trying to see the difference between an
attributive quality, such as Presidents Day (a day
_for_ presidents) and a possessive quality, such as
Father's Day (a day _of_ fathers).

My inclination is that TV programming for kids
(plural) is "kids' programming," just like a rest room
for men is a "men's room," not a man's room. Another
example, of course, is "women's room." So one would
say a website for children, such as Nickjr.com, is a
children's website, right? Therefore, if a more casual
term for children is "kids," isn't it a "kids'"
website?

Even though I've investigated a couple of my favorite
grammar books on the subject--Googled for examples
too--my current understanding of the matter is
evidenced above.

Respondents, thank you very much for your time.

Scott