ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Robert Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:13:40 -0600
I know this list is not about politics, but I cannot let the following comments be stated without being challenged:

>>> Scott Woods <[log in to unmask]> 2/12/2008 10:35 AM >>>

  I do not see how a person such as Obama, whose policy positions are opposed by so many, can possibly unite the country.  I do not even know what it means to unite the country or if that is possible or even desirable.  There are deep divisions in philosophy and policy in our nation, and these will not go away.

Perhaps, it is question of language, and we are told on the news shows each night there are great divisions in our country.  Perhaps, we should identify them.

The following numbers I cite can be found here: http://pollingreport.com/iraq.htm

On Iraq

"Do you favor or oppose the U.S. war in Iraq?"

		Favor 	Oppose 	Unsure
2/1-3/08   	34%	   64% 	   2%

"In general, do you approve or disapprove of the job that George W. Bush is doing in handling the situation in Iraq?"

1/20-22/08 	Approve 27%     Disapprove 67%  Unsure 5%

The following numbers I cite can be found here: http://pollingreport.com/budget.htm

"And when it comes to the economy, do you approve or disapprove or have mixed feelings about the way George W. Bush is handling that issue?"

		Approve 	Disapprove 	Mixed 	Unsure
		% 	% 	% 	%
2/4-6/08	               28            68             2

"As you may know, Bush and congressional leaders are planning payments to most workers of several hundred dollars and new tax breaks for businesses in order to stimulate the economy. Do you think this will or will not be enough to avoid or soften a recession?"

.
		Will 	Will Not 	Unsure
1/30 - 2/1/08	28%	67% 	5%

******
Of course, one can find answers to some questions more evenly divided.  One has to do with extending the Bush tax cuts.

The following are from here: http://pollingreport.com/health3.htm

"As you may know, President Bush vetoed a bill passed by Congress that would create a program to spend 35 billion dollars to provide health insurance to some children in middle-income families. Do you think Congress should vote to create that program by overriding Bush's veto, or do you think Congress should vote to block that program by sustaining Bush's veto?"

	             Override Veto 	Sustain   Veto 	Unsure
10/12-14/07	        61 	                      35 	                  4

"Do you think it's the government's responsibility to make sure that everyone in the United States has adequate health care, or don't you think so?"

	         Think It Is 	Don'tThink So 	Unsure
ALL reg. voters       57 	      38 	                  5
   Republicans          32 	      62 	                  6
   Democrats            84 	      13 	                  4
   Independents       54 	       41 	                  6

2/13-19/07          64 	     31 	                 4

The last one is old.  And, you can find questions and answers without such huge differences.

Nevertheless, if framed correctly, on a lot of issues 2/3s of Americans can agree.

Bob Yates
University of Central Missouri