ATEG Archives

February 1998

From:
EDWARD VAVRA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 17:26:46 -0500
The following is from a thread on NCTE-Talk. I have
replaced the names because they are irrelevant. The
exchange, however, reinforces my point that most
teachers are very poorly prepared to teach grammar. It
also reinforces my argument that instead of teaching
future teachers whole bunches of terminology we
need to help them learn to recognize basic structures
such as subject/verb patterns.
Ed V.

-----

On 29 Jan 1998, Xxxxxx  wrote:

I need the rule and an explanation for the following
structure:

It was one of those jobs that (takes, take) much more
time than you expect.

 I thought the verb should be singular because it
should agree with "one" but one of my students
brought me an independent study workbook which
indicates the verb should be plural (agreeing with
"jobs," I assume)

The only thing I can find that would suggest the plural
verb is Strunk&White where he says, "A common
blunder is the use of a singular verb form in a relative
clause following "one of . . . " or a similar expression
when the relative is the subject" (p 9).

Can anyone tell me which is correct, and, if I am not,
explain the rule to me?

 Thanks.
Xxxxxxxxx

And someone replied:

Isn't the subject of this particular sentence "it"?

Xxxxxxx