ATEG Archives

November 2007

From:
Peter Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2007 22:48:43 -0400
I've only been following this list for about a year, and I'll be you
have thrashed this topic around more than once in the past.  But I
wasn't here for those thrashings, so I'm inviting another round.

How do you analyze tense and modals?  Is "might" the past tense of
"may"?  Is "could" the past tense of "can"?  Or is it more accurate
to say that modals don't inflect for tense?  There are ten (?) modals
(will, would, shall, should, can, could, may, might, must, and ought
to, and none of them is past tense.

Peter Adams