ATEG Archives

September 2010

Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2010 10:50:35 -0400
This is the type of intelligent, informative, discussion for which I joined
ATEG.  After the crude, malicious, and irrelevant comments by one poster, I
was debating whether to cancel my list subscription.  You have renewed my
faith in ATEG--and have sent me to WorldCat to get another article to read.

N. Scott Catledge
Date:    Sun, 5 Sep 2010 09:26:30 -0400
From:    Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: On English modals

    For an interesting recent discussion of this, see Joan Bybee's
"Language, Usage, and Cognition" (Cambridge, 2010.) I apologize if I'm
oversimplifying as I try to give this a non-technical spin.
    1) Eight of the nine principal modals (with the exception of "will")
were preterite-present verbs: verbs that evolved present tense
meanings for past tense forms, then developed a new (added -d) past
tense form to compensate, though some of this occurs outside the
historical record.
    2) Within Old English, all of these verbs could be used as the main
finite verb of a clause OR as an auxiliary with another main verb.
Over time, their use as main verb became less frequent, then
disappeared, although it is important to note that this occurred more
rapidly for some verbs than for others. "Shall," for example,
grammaticalized much more rapidly than "will."
    3) The use of modal auxiliaries in English "increased gradually in
frequency from the Old English period right up to the present....By
the middle of the sixteenth century, about one third of all finite
clauses had a modal in them" (Bybee, 123).>
    4) She traces the path of "am going to" as it grammaticalizes toward a
modal function within the modern record.
    Stage one: I am going to the park. (movement toward goal.)
    Stage two: I am going to marry the girl next door. (Expression of
intention.)
    Stage three: It is going to rain (epistemic prediction, somewhat
interchangeable with "will").
    If we look at this as an historical process (what linguists call a
diachronic view), it makes sense that these are not going to be
discreet categories. Even our undisputed current modals would not fit
the category in their early manifestations. They, in effect, grew into
it. The language seems to be evolving greater reliance on modals over
time, with new words and phrases being pulled into use for those ends.

Craig

 Rodney Huddleston did a paper in a volume that I lent out and never got
> back and I'm blanking on the title--something like Studies in English?
> Anyway the paper was an analysis of traits of English verbs, and his major
> point was that categories like modal are a lot fuzzier than we generally
> believe them to be.  The basic nine modals (can, could, may, might, will,
> would, shall, should, must) all behave alike in a lot of ways, although
> will/would is more consistent under sequence of tenses than, say,
> may/might or shall/should.  "Must" is distinct in being a past form of
> "mote," an older modal that died out around the 16th c., and is a preterit
> present that has no modern past form since it is itself past in form.
> "Need" and "ought" share fewer properties of modals, and "let" and "make"
> still fewer although like modals they take the bare infinitive.  The
> problem here lies with too strict an adherence to the notion "category,"
> not with the facts of English.  Categories are sets of properties, but the
> properties get defined on particular words and are not fully the same from
> word to word, so we're probably talking about arch-types here.  The basic
> nine modals come close to forming an arch-typal category, but don't quite
> make it.
>
> Herb

End of ATEG Digest - 4 Sep 2010 to 5 Sep 2010 (#2010-145)