ATEG Archives

November 2006

From:
Nancy Tuten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:49:19 -0500
In effect, the preposition is elliptical with all indirect objects.

	He gave me the tickets.
	He gave (to) me the tickets.
	He gave the tickets to me.

When we diagram indirect objects with traditional R&K diagrams, we suggest
that the preposition is part of the syntax by putting the IO in the slot
where the object of a prepositional phrase would go and by leaving the
preposition slot blank.

Since I teach my students to ask themselves "to whom" or "for whom" when
trying to find the indirect object, I could hardly fault them for calling
"to me" an indirect object in Ed's sentence.

My textbook is not with me, but I'm almost certain that Martha Kolln has a
footnote on this issue in _Understanding English Grammar_. She says, in
essence, that some grammarians would regard such a prepositional phrase as
an indirect object while others would not. In the context of her book, it is
regarded as such. (That is, this would be a pattern VIII sentence--one with
a direct object and an indirect object.)

Nancy

Nancy L. Tuten, PhD
Professor of English
Director of the Writing-across-the-Curriculum Program
Columbia College
Columbia, South Carolina
803-786-3706